- Books and manuscripts with parchment textblocks and leather, cloth or paper coverings
- Books and manuscripts with parchment covering
- Books and manuscripts with tawed skin girdles and chemises
- Volumes that would benefit from additional support due to a wedge shaped textblock either head to tail or spine to fore-edge
- Small to large sized volumes.
Why choose this box?
- The pressure box is designed to prevent the parchment elements of your binding pushing open the lid of the box as it would with a conventional drop-spine box
- The dimensional fluctuations that parchment undergoes in response to environmental conditions are gently restricted by the pressure flap and the buffering capabilities of the box
- This box design gently restricts movement within the parchment sheet(s) helping to prevent cockling, board warping and prolong the adhesion of pigments to the parchment surface
- The entire length of the spine is visible on opening the box
- Facilitates lifting or sliding of the contents from the box
- Good for volumes with damaged spine covering
- Allows heavy volumes to be slid from the base tray
- Right to left opening for western volumes
- Left to right opening for middle eastern or oriental volumes
- Tailored pressure flap to support irregularly shaped volumes to provide even surface pressure to wedge-shaped bindings
- Deep base tray lining for finger access underneath heavier volumes and fragile coverings
- Tailor cut base tray liner to accommodate binding features; clasps, bosses, etc.
- Tailored magnetic textblock support to prevent textblock drag during vertical storage.
Construction and materials. I take care to ensure your box is capable of fulfilling its protective function for as long as possible. All my boxes are constructed with:
- Laminated double walls and step-joints
- Cloth covering with as few external raw edges as possible
- A fold of cloth at each corner to prevent the cloth bursting should a corner take a knock.
- Archival Millboard carcass
- Heavyweight Buckram or linen cloth covering or an alternative cloth of your choice
- Conservation grade board or paper linings as appropriate
- Material specifications are tailored to suit the exact requirements of the contents and your preference
- Quarter, half or full leather exterior cover.
- Direct titling or title label available
- Leather labels with gold leaf finishing
- Decorative finishing
Please do contact me to make an enquiry or discuss your requirements further.