- Books and manuscripts with parchment textblocks and parchment, leather, cloth or paper coverings
- Books and manuscripts with paper textblocks and parchment covering
- Books and manuscripts with tawed skin girdles and chemises
- Volumes that would benefit from additional support due to a wedge shaped textblock either head to tail or spine to fore-edge
- Large sized, heavy and thick volumes
Why choose this box? The pressure box is designed to prevent the parchment elements of your binding pushing open the lid of the box as it would with a conventional drop-spine box. The dimensional fluctuations that parchment undergoes in response to environmental conditions are gently restricted by the pressure flap and the buffering capabilities of the box
- This box design helps to restrict cockling in a parchment textblock’s bifolia helping to maintain the adhesion of pigments to the page surface
- The design ensures complete physical support and protection for your volume
- This box ensures no movement of the volume within the base tray helping to maintain adhesion of fragile pigments to the page surface
- Initiates two-handed lifting of the contents from the box
- Your volume has surface decoration or friable covering material that will not endure friction
- Right to left opening for western volumes
- Left to right opening for middle eastern or oriental volumes
- Tailored, compensating pressure flap for wedge-shaped volumes to enable the application of gentle, even surface pressure to the binding within the box
- Deep base tray lining for finger access underneath heavier volumes and fragile coverings
- Tailor cut base tray liner to accommodate binding features; clasps, bosses, etc.
- Tailored magnetic textblock support to prevent textblock drag during vertical storage.
Construction and materials. I take care to ensure your box is capable of fulfilling its protective function for as long as possible. All my boxes are constructed with:
- Laminated double walls and step-joints
- Cloth covering with as few external raw edges as possible
- A fold of cloth at each corner to prevent the cloth bursting should a corner take a knock.
- Archival Millboard carcass
- Heavyweight Buckram or linen cloth covering or an alternative cloth of your choice
- Conservation grade board or paper linings as appropriate
- Material specifications are tailored to suit the exact requirements of the contents and your preference
- Quarter, half or full leather exterior cover.
- Direct titling or title label available
- Leather labels with gold leaf finishing
- Decorative finishing
Please do contact me to make an enquiry or discuss your requirements further.