- Printed books and manuscripts with paper textblocks
- Bound/unbound manuscripts
- Volumes with leather, cloth or paper coverings
- Any sized volumes. 64m0 to large folio and beyond
- Damaged, structurally unstable volumes
- Other object types
Why choose this box? This box is designed to constrain the way the object is removed from the box. The user has to lift the volume using both hands. Particularly useful for:
- structurally damaged volumes that require specific and careful handling
- Those volumes for which you require the reader to take particular precautions before removing the object from the box
- Volumes with bindings of particular beauty and vulnerability that are required for viewing but not general handling
- Right to left opening for western volumes
- Left to right opening for middle eastern or oriental volumes
- Acrylic glazing. Allows viewing, prevents casual handling
- Deep base tray lining for finger access underneath heavy volumes
- Tailor cut base tray liner to accommodate binding features; clasps, bosses, etc.
- Tailored magnetic textblock support to prevent textblock drag during vertical storage
- Handling instruction
- The housing of multiple objects
Construction and materials: I take care to ensure your box is capable of fulfilling its protective function for as long as possible. All my boxes are constructed with:
- Laminated double walls and step-joints
- Cloth or leather coverings with as few external raw edges as possible
- A fold of cloth at each corner to prevent the cloth bursting should a corner take a knock.
- Archival Millboard carcass
- Heavyweight Buckram or linen cloth covering or an alternative cloth of your choice
- Conservation grade board or paper linings as appropriate
- Material specifications are tailored to suit the exact requirements of the contents and your preference
- Quarter, half or full leather exterior cover.
- Direct titling or title label available
- Leather labels with gold leaf finishing
- Decorative finishing
Please do contact me to make an enquiry or discuss your requirements further.