- Volumes with structural damage or highly decorated bindings that require careful and particular handling
- Printed books and manuscripts with parchment or paper textblocks
- Volumes with parchment, leather, cloth or paper coverings
- Any sized volumes.
- Other object types
Why choose this box? It is designed to facilitate viewing of the volume whilst discouraging casual handling. Handling when necessary is directed to be two-handed to ensure the safe removal of the object from the box. Particularly useful for:
- structurally damaged volumes that require specific and careful handling
- Those volumes for which you require the reader to take particular precautions before removing the object from the box, e.g. wearing gloves
- Volumes with bindings of particular beauty and vulnerability that are required for viewing but not general handling
- Right to left opening for western volumes
- Left to right opening for middle eastern or oriental volumes
- Deep base tray lining for finger access underneath heavy volumes
- Tailor cut base tray liner to accommodate binding features; clasps, bosses, etc.
- Tailored magnetic textblock support to prevent textblock drag during vertical storage
- Handling instruction
- The housing of multiple objects
Construction and materials: I take care to ensure your box is capable of fulfilling its protective function for as long as possible. All my boxes are constructed with:
- Laminated double walls and step-joints
- Cloth or leather coverings with as few external raw edges as possible
- A fold of cloth at each corner to prevent the cloth bursting should a corner take a knock.
- Archival Millboard carcass
- Acrylic glazing (Oddy tested acrylic)
- Heavyweight Buckram or linen cloth covering or an alternative cloth of your choice
- Conservation grade board or paper linings as appropriate
- Material specifications are tailored to suit the exact requirements of the contents and your preference
- Quarter, half or full leather exterior cover.
- Direct titling or title label available
- Leather labels with gold leaf finishing
- Decorative finishing
Please do contact me to make an enquiry or discuss your requirements further.