- Books and manuscripts with parchment textblocks and leather, cloth or paper coverings
- Books and manuscripts with parchment covering
- Books and manuscripts with tawed skin girdles and chemises
- Volumes that would benefit from additional support due to a wedge shaped textblock either head to tail or spine to fore-edge
- Small to medium sized volumes. 64m0 to quarto
- Not suitable for particularly thick volumes
Why choose this box?
- The pressure box is designed to prevent the parchment elements of your binding pushing open the lid of the box as it would with a conventional drop-spine box
- The dimensional fluctuations that parchment undergoes in response to environmental conditions are gently restricted by the pressure flap and the buffering capabilities of the box
- This box design helps to restrict cockling in a parchment textblock’s bifolia helping to maintain the adhesion of pigments to the page surface
- The design that ensures complete physical support and protection for your volume
- This box ensures no movement of the volume within the base tray helping to maintain adhesion of fragile pigments to the page surface
- Facilitates single-handed lifting of the contents from the box
- Your volume has surface decoration or friable covering material that will not endure friction
- Right to left opening for western volumes
- Left to right opening for middle eastern or oriental volumes
- Deep base tray lining for finger access underneath heavier volumes and fragile coverings
- Tailor cut base tray liner to accommodate binding features; clasps, bosses, etc.
- Tailored magnetic textblock support to prevent textblock drag during vertical storage.
Construction and materials. I take care to ensure your box is capable of fulfilling its protective function for as long as possible. All my boxes are constructed with:
- Laminated double walls and step-joints
- Cloth covering with as few external raw edges as possible
- A fold of cloth at each corner to prevent the cloth bursting should a corner take a knock.
- Archival Millboard carcass
- Heavyweight Buckram or linen cloth covering or an alternative cloth of your choice
- Conservation grade board or paper linings as appropriate
- Material specifications are tailored to suit the exact requirements of the contents and your preference
- Quarter, half or full leather exterior cover.
- Direct titling or title label available
- Leather labels with gold leaf finishing
- Decorative finishing
Please do contact me to make an enquiry or discuss your requirements further.