- Bound and unbound manuscripts, printed books and albums
- Books and manuscripts with paper textblocks
- Books and manuscripts with leather, cloth or paper coverings
- Small, to medium sized volumes. 64m0 to Quart0
- Volumes that can be lifted from the box with one hand
- other object types
- Volumes with fragile covering material or decoration
- Not suitable for particularly thick volumes
Why choose this box?
- A classic book box design that ensures complete support and protection for your volume
- Design ensures no movement of the volume within the box
- Facilitates single-handed lifting of the contents from the box
- Your volume has surface decoration or friable covering material that will not endure friction
- Right to left opening for western volumes
- Left to right opening for middle eastern or oriental volumes
- Deep base tray lining for finger access underneath heavier volumes
- Hand access at fore-edge for two-handed lifting of volumes
- The housing of multiple volumes of differing sizes
- Tailor cut base tray liner to accommodate binding features; clasps, bosses, etc.
- Tailored magnetic textblock support to prevent textblock drag during vertical storage.
Construction and materials. I take care to ensure your box is capable of fulfilling its protective function for as long as possible. All my boxes are constructed with:
- Laminated double walls and step-joints
- Cloth covering with as few external raw edges as possible
- A fold of cloth at each corner to prevent the cloth bursting should a corner take a knock.
- Archival Millboard carcass
- Heavyweight Buckram or linen cloth covering or an alternative cloth of your choice
- Conservation grade board or paper linings as appropriate
- Material specifications are tailored to suit the exact requirements of the contents and your preference
- Quarter, half or full leather exterior cover.
- Direct titling or title label available
- Leather labels with gold leaf finishing
- Decorative finishing
Please do contact me to make an enquiry or discuss your requirements further.