Your books and manuscripts are an intricate assemblage of physical and chemical relationships between their materials, physical structure and storage environment. 25 years of practical experience navigating these relationships means we are uniquely able to support and sustain your books for you to read and use.
Our repair techniques are undertaken using high quality and archival materials deployed with empathy and learned knowledge of the interaction of techniques and materials practised within an ethical framework. Emphasis is on the retention of as much original material as possible, halting or reducing the rate of deterioration and the preservation of each objects unique aesthic and character.
The Conservation of Books and Manuscripts includes the following treatments:
- The repair of bookbindings including reattachment of coverboards and spines
- The repair of textblocks, including resewing, tear repair, infilling missing areas, reattachment of loose pages
- Support of Iron Gall ink damage textblocks.
- Washing and chemical stabilisation of paper textblocks where acidic deterioration or staining has discoloured and embrittled the paper
- Stain or adhesive removal